Friday, February 15, 2008

Walking

You can't walk towards something without walking away from something else. Every choice that you make removes other choices from the table. If you stop, you can't be going. If you keep going, you miss all the things that you would have experienced by stopping for a spell.

I've made a decison. A certain piece of it is out of my hands, but the decision is made. It involves huge changes. Walking away from some things means walking away from other things as well. Some of those things are going very well. When I return, they may have grown on their own or withered and died. I won't know, can't know until I return.

Things will develop in their own time. From this perspective it seems monumental if I think about it too much. Yet I already know that I will live in the moment, experience what is there and, someday, it will become just another thing that I've done. A piece of history. A collection of stories. Valuable, important...but there will be just as many stories I will miss. Stories and experiences I would love. It's one of the reason that change is hard, especially for people who have been successful in creating a nearly perfect life. But part of my perfect life is abandoning the comfort zone. For now, at least. Rest may become more valuable in later years. Not yet.

This has the potential to be very cool.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck, and enjoy the ride!

Kai Jones said...

Cryptic old man! Subtlety was never my strong suit, so I'll just love and let go, as they say.

Kami said...

You are going to have so much fun. I love you, I'll miss you, but I won't say bye yet because we have lots of time and nothing's set. Definitely living in the moment, all the way.

The Moody Minstrel said...

I know exactly what you mean, Rory. I, too, recently decided to walk away from something that was starting to go seriously bad, but knowing full well that doing so meant I was also walking away from some very good things...and also understanding that the very act of walking away could create some very large complications.

We make choices, and we face the path we end up on as a result.

Anonymous said...

Rory,

This fed dawg is curious as to what you got going on, but wishes you all the best.