Monday, December 29, 2008

Waste Not, Want Not

Going over the fiction I wrote for nano and I have to cut two pieces. They just don't really fit.
So, hey, I'll post them here. Just some introspection from the main character:

Bad guys.  The best definition that I ever heard was, “My team are the good guys.  The other team is the bad guys.”  It’s simple and sometimes you need a simple way to look at the world.  I usually prefer the law enforcement term “threat.”  It’s dehumanizing without a value judgment.  It’s immature to require your enemy to be less than you.  I can kill someone who I profoundly respect.  The reason that they need to be killed has nothing to do with who they are, it has everything to do with what they are doing.

So I like the term threat.  I am stopping what they are doing, the ability to do harm that they represent.  Stopping the person is incidental.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Get this. People do not commit suicide because of the shitty stuff that happened in their lives. They commit suicide from thinking about it too much.  Being alone? Generally bad, unless you stay really busy.  Alcohol and opiates? Bad time for depressants.  Uppers, a little coke or meth? You start to think that you need them to have a normal amount of energy and in a little bit that becomes both true and not, because you wouldn’t know a normal level of energy if it bit you.

3 comments:

Kai Jones said...

Is this person a reliable narrator?

Rory said...

That was part of the problem. It was supposed to be a voice in the back of the character's head that whispered from the perspective of imminent death. These two were too glib or too trivial to count for that. Your SO has a copy if you want to read it.

Kai Jones said...

Keen, I wondered whether it was okay for me to read it.