Monday, August 09, 2010

Homeward Bound

Tomorrow, it will be time to head home. Looking forward to seeing my lovely bride again. Actually counting the hours (23 hours, one minute right now).

Boston was a good time and my little notes haven't done it justice. The Uechi-ryu camp at Massachusetts Maritime Academy was the smallest crowd ever, and that is sad. there is a generation of extraordinarily skilled practitioners and gifted teachers who will start to pass someday. There wasn't enough time to talk with old friends, much less deepen friendships with new friends. It is a group that deserves far more time and attention.

Small group classes with Jason Gould, Bill Giovannucci and Don Miller filled three of the nights. Each of these men is a leader and it was a pleasure to get to know them a little. Their students, as always, are the real sign of who they are and I got to cross hands with some very good people. No one minded a little rough rolling, no one let ego or preconceived ideas get in the way of exploring.

A dinner with Wes Tasker, who I haven't seen in far too long, and Lisa & Mike, who are more than worthy of more time.

Marcus and Dave of Personal Safety were able, with 48 hours notice, to set up a four-hour course for some very impressive cops from the local area. I have no idea how many favors they called in or how they got that kind of turn-out for a relatively unknown thug, but I was definitely impressed. It went well (in my estimation) and now they have a clearer idea of who I am and what I offer. And it was a blast rolling with the big SWAT guy. Possibly the highlight of the week.

I also met Erik Kondo at the cop brawl. An impressive young man with some great insights. If I hit you in the face with a big rubber ball in the future to get your adrenaline up, blame Erik. It was his idea.

Jeff Burger and Jessica were my hosts, and they were fun, entertaining and incredibly gracious. Each spent time wandering around the town with me, poking into shops and keeping me from getting lost, laughing at people who could stand a little laughing. Irreverent and observant, but never rude. Jeff knows everybody, and he knows how to respectfully approach people regardless of language or culture. From what I have seen he is a damn fine coach. He is also far too humble. He has the combination of experience and skill to take the world by the horns. His own humility is the only thing in his way.

The seminar on Sunday capped it. 33 people. I had a great time. We covered the usual drills, and the usual lectures. There was a lot of playing and, I hope, a lot of discovery. I don't think I brawled with everyone, the crowd was just too big...and there were several I would like to name, but I would forget more, and that would be unfair. The first review just went up on Facebook (No idea if the weird FB protocols will let that link work). It feels pretty good.

One meeting with the video producer for YMAA-- we're talking about a video or two to augment the next book. That will be new territory for me, so I'm in. All of today touring New Hampshire with my publisher and discussing possible projects, between arguments with his feisty and most excellent wife.

Tomorrow, though, I will see my feisty and most excellent wife, and that fills my world.

3 comments:

Jason Azze said...

The seminar tired my body and energized my mind. That's what I was looking for.

Jake said...

Safe travels man. Seminar was awesome. Next time we're in the same city, I owe you a cup of coffee. Or scotch. Whichever.

ush said...

Our head instructor is the Sayoc rep for Europe so we've had occasion to train with senior Sayoc guys every now and then (including later this week). They always impress.