Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Older

It was always abstract. From almost the first moment we met, in a dingy basement apartment off-campus, discussing the probable nutrient value of the fat fly circling the chili, I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with K. I wanted to grow old with her. It was always so abstract.

And now we are doing it. Growing old. Not just older.

She has always been graceful, and she is aging with the same grace as she moves, serene in herself the way that she calms others with her presence. Her hair has been silver for a long time, the premature gray I would expect from living with me. She has never tried to color or hide it, seemed unaware at the ethereal beauty that another woman might attempt to mask.

She is so unafraid.

Last night, for the first time, I noticed the translucent skin that I see as a sign of aging. Very fine webs of lines around her eyes and mouth and neck almost under the skin. And I found it beautiful and fascinating. One more thing about this beautiful woman that takes my breath away.

I never thought to grow old, never dreamed to be lucky enough to do so as a pair. Amazing.

And I know, Steve and George, we aren't that old. But I'm close enough to taste it and with K it doesn't seem the slightest bit bleak.

6 comments:

Charles James said...

:-)

Lise Steenerson said...

I wish there was a "like 100X" button! :-)

Jon L. said...

I know exactly what you mean, brother. Some day soon, we have to figure out how to get the loves of our lives together. That'd be a conversation worth listening in on.

SooShimKwan said...

I'm pressing the "Thumbs Up" button.

Steve Perry said...

Jesus, kid, I got T-shirts older than you.

Anonymous said...

All wives hope their husbands fell the way you do about K. I love that you use words to describe how to defend and survive and also how to love and live. Thanks Rory.