Monday, March 02, 2015

The Advertising Problem

"I wasn't sure I should come," the student confided, "I heard stories and thought it would be really scary. But it's fun." She had a big grin.

Then Charles Lampshire writes this: "So today I've been thrown down the stairs, had my head knelt upon, a simultaneous wrist, finger and shoulder lock used whilst slamming me into a table, been punched in the balls, had my nose smashed with several elbows, had a scrap in a ladies toilet and even been fish hooked on a sticky dance floor. What a fantastic day! Can't wait to see what Rory Miller has cooked up for us tomorrow."    

That's awesome, by the way, Charles. Thanks. But it's the essential quandary. People who like the idea of rolling around on a sticky dance floor gouging, fish hooking and biting are going to show up. And they have fun. But people who think that is fun don't really need the training much. The ones who most need it are the people who will read that description, shudder and say, "I could never do that." And of course they could do that. And if they tried it, they would find it valuable and fun.

But it's hard to explain. "This time we have an office we are allowed to demolish in the environmental part, so expect to get thrown through the dry wall. But it will be fun and safe."

For most people fun/safe and heads slammed into tables don't go into the same categories. Of course nothing is perfectly safe. Including doing nothing.

This is another one I don't have an answer for.  Word of mouth, maybe.

Winding up a month in the UK heading home this afternoon.
Maryland and Oakland coming up this month.      

7 comments:

Patrick Parker said...

I was just commenting to a work buddy that no traditional advertising has ever worked for us - the only thing that has ever worked is word of mouth.

Kai Jones said...

Well...the first drawing class I ever took was called "So you think you can't draw" and I even though I was afraid, I learned a lot. I think there are ways to market to people who don't think they are advanced enough to get anything out of your teaching, or who have barriers to overcome in their thinking before they can give themselves permission to be that person.

Working out how to convey the idea that it's play, not practice: that playing around will teach you muscle memory and responses that will work in a dangerous situation, that's one approach.

pax said...

You're singing my song. I don't have any solutions, but am happy to join you in admiring the problem.

Anonymous said...

Just like you have to train to the goal. You have to market to the goal. If you want to fill seats with people who need this the most...then you gotta market to that demographic. That demographic is not you, so you'll need to find help. If successful, you could probably both fill seats and get it to those who need it most.

Nomad said...

It's a problem I encounter a lot, both in martial arts and in my other hobby, obstacle course racing. The best answer I can give is "just sign up and try it". Most are hooked from the first experience if they can take the proverbial leap of faith.

Josh Kruschke said...

Rory,

In marketing you can try to have people come to you, or you can go to them. Been collecting your YMA videos lately. In logic of violence you have us develope victim profiles.

You asked where would we find these people to set up our ambushes. Then you asked, asked them what would you teach "your" students to counter act to address the problems that where brainstormed.

One of the victim profiles was drunk collage girls. Where are collage girls and how would we or could we get this message in from them? Make them aware of it.

Businessmen or women that travel?

Marketing:

Create awareness and a means to fill a need. Often this is a new need caused by being made aware of your product or message.

Rory's target audience us instructors and trainers.

Hmmm???

Unknown said...

Josh- have been thinking the same thing after watching Logic of Violence DVD. Why are there so few women on the training courses- just 3 of us on Sunday in Cambridge. Thank you Rory, great course. Lying on the floor in a sports centre shower cubicle with my legs wrapped round a young guy's neck- good fun, but also practical- who is more likely to be a potential victim when alone in a changing room .
I do teach young women students. Now I'm starting to think about who enrols on the courses and why.
And what the Union Manager and I can do to reach a wider audience.
Hearing some of the things the women open up about during the courses- I realise it is a scary responsibility doing this.