Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Cube Farm

I haven't been in the jail for three days.

Last year I applied for and was accepted to an off-line position. I just started. It's an interesting transition. For the last several years my identity has been very much tied up in crisis management, dealing with violent criminals, counseling deputies- things that were physical and mental, hands on, where the price of a mistake was blood.

Now, I will be reviewing the deputies uses of force, investigating them if they seem wrong, fielding complaints from citizens.

Part of me still keeps half an ear out for a radio I'm not even carrying.

This will be very, very different.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best of luck in the new post.

Mark

The Moody Minstrel said...

I imagine the psychological adjustment is going to be difficult.

Now you have some idea how vets probably feel after being rotated back home from Iraq or Afghanistan...