Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Big Karma

It sucks writing around stuff instead of writing about stuff.
Today I earned partial credit for the karma of eight lives.  Nothing spectacular or heroic. Sometimes persistent paper-pushing can save as many lives as as boots and bullets. And sometimes saving a life means 'keeping breathing' and sometimes it means something else.  A lot of people have worked on this for a long time.  It was an honor to be there when the hammer fell and the chains broke.

If there is one thing I love about this country more than the people, the landscape, the history, the expanse, it is this- doing things  at a time in history that are truly pivotal.  I don't know and will never know how much of a player I was versus a spectator.  Like the fall of the Berlin Wall,  an honor to be there even if you had nothing to do with it.

-----------------------------------------
For the record, I'll be in Ireland in two weeks, free and in Dublin on the night of the 19th and the day of the 20th, if anyone wants to say 'hi'.

3 comments:

ush said...

I'm a dub but I'll be over in Europe that weekend, flying back into Dublin that Sunday AFAIR so if I'm around I'll be more than happy to share a beer or whatnot. If not, I'll try recommend a few decent pub's or places for music sessions.

A visit here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilmainham_Gaol
might be of interest anyway

Kami said...

You're my hero.

Rory said...

Ush,
Looks like I'll be there Sunday afternoon. Not sure when you get in, but Sunday evening and all day Monday are free. Family gets there Tuesday. You have my e-mail, right?