Saturday, November 07, 2009

Stuff

Things have been busy lately, but probably boring for you to read about. My son's play; my daughter's concert. Meeting with old friends. Writing. Evidently a rat chewed into a power line last night and the East end of the house has no power.

Boring stuff, but kind of cool, too. The thing about shiftwork was all the parts of normal life that you missed. I have gone to more of my kid's events in the last two months than in the whole seventeen years before. It's kind of cool. It means listening to bad music (and some very good) but it is also watching kids grow up in an environment that was alien to me.

I always spent a lot of time with my kids. Not a lot, maybe. Very nearly as much as they would tolerate. On my days off I would get them up and see them to school. When I worked nights I tried to sleep while they were in school. If they had a half-day that coincide with an off-shift or a day off we would go bowling or out for lunch or... I've always loved my kids and they have never, I hope, doubted that I loved them. For the first time I am meeting their school friends, seeing where they fit in the social networks that surround them.

I'm seeing happy, well-adjusted, popular kids. Despite the autism. Despite a father who taught them how to throw axes instead of footballs. Despite all the times I wasn't there.

So, sorry if the blog is lagging or boring right now. It will pick up. But life is in one of the cool, easy happy flows and I plan to ride it for all I am worth. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

edgeofgrace said...

Good luck Rory.

Master Plan said...

I often think an dormant blog is a good sign of a happy life for the poster. ;-)

Probably more true in the New Moon\Twilight oriented LiveJournal blogs than here, but still.....

Steve Perry said...

Life is in the details, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Hurrah!!

Anonymous said...

I know the conventional wisdom is for a blog to be constantly updated and fresh, but I like quality over quantity.

I'm sure all your readers have this address in their bookmarks or RSS feeds, so there's no pressure to write if you don't have anything to say.

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Rory. Enjoy them.

-johnb