Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Humble

These are the people I'm working with now-

An anonymous complaint comes in and I present it at the weekly meeting. We pass the letter around. The senior investigator says, "Hmm- the handwriting looks familiar." In a few minutes he comes back with a report filed fourteen months ago.

The second investigator doesn't look at the report. He taps a name on the anonymous letter: "It's this guy. He named himself as a witness, but all the other names are in alphabetical order."

They are both right. I'm just the rookie here, still struggling to remember how the reports are filed.

Looks like I need to bring my game up to a whole new level.

6 comments:

Kai Jones said...

New challenges keep popping up. That's a good life, then.

Working out what it means to me to be a grandmother, that's my challenge right now. I sometimes feel the urge to obsess, to subsume myself in this new relationship and personhood. It's hard to resist, but I don't want to be that person.

Rory said...

You're going to be such a great grandmother!!!

Anonymous said...

You're going to be such a great grandmother!!!

Doesn't she have to be just a grandmother first? ;)

Mike

Kai Jones said...

Mike, I *am* a grandmother first--my grandson is 5 weeks old.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Kai! Never thought about the challenges of being a grandparent. You're still a parent but of a parent. I'm still trying to make it through fatherhood in one piece.:)


I guess my lame joke about being a great grandmother (in the generational connotation, not the skills connotation) went down in flames. Sorry about that Kai. [[embarrassed>]]

Mike

Kai Jones said...

Eh, I'm very literal--I often miss jokes. Don't blame yourself.

Good point about still being a parent. I will stay aware of my son's needs as well as my grandson's. That's one reason I don't want to obsess as a grandparent: I want my son to know I trust him to parent his child, and that means hanging back as much as possible, waiting to be asked (for advice and help with the baby), and thinking about the needs he and his wife have that I can address without interfering.